Delaware County Juvenile Court has jurisdiction over juveniles alleged to be delinquent or unruly.


When a juvenile is found to be delinquent or unruly, the Court has jurisdiction to issue orders on the juvenile and the juvenile’s parents or legal custodian. All parties to the case, including the juvenile and the juvenile’s parents or legal custodian, are entitled to court-appointed counsel if they are indigent. For information on making application for appointed counsel, you can contact the Court at 740-833-2600.

Depending on the individual case, consequences for delinquent behavior may include diversion, supervision by the intake or probation department, detention, fines, driver’s license suspension, and/or community service.

The Court can also order counseling and/or substance abuse treatment for the child or parents, when appropriate. In some cases, a child may be court ordered into residential treatment, detention center or Department of Youth Services.


Definitions of “delinquent child” and “unruly child” are:

The allegation that a minor (a person under the age of 18) has committed an act that would constitute a crime if the act was committed by an adult. (Ex: Theft, Prohibition).

A juvenile is said to be “unruly” when he or she will not follow the rules of home, school, or community and as a result, is subjected to penalties imposed by the Court.